Toronto Hymen Reconstruction
Also serving North York, Mississauga, and Southern Ontario
The hymen is a thin membrane that forms a barrier to the vagina until it is broken by sexual intercourse or tears due to physical activity. More and more women are looking at hymen reconstruction or hymenoplasty, as it is often referred to. Among the most common reasons for opting for hymen reconstruction are:
- Cultural or religious issues
- Reconstruction as part of rape or sexual abuse recovery and healing
- Damage to the hymen prior to the first vaginal sexual intercourse that could lead the partner into thinking the woman is not a virgin
- The desire to give a spouse a special wedding gift
Dr. Colin Hong is a board certified cosmetic surgeon and Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Centre in Toronto. Among his many specializations is hymen reconstruction. While hymen reconstruction is among the simpler of cosmetic procedures, Dr. Hong appreciates that there are various motivations and sensitivities involved in opting for this form of plastic surgery and devotes a great deal of attention to making his Toronto patients feel as comfortable as possible about the procedure. He discusses the physical and emotional issues involved so that the patient is fully aware of the nature of the procedure and feels at ease about it. Cost and recovery protocol are also discussed.
There are 3 types of hymen reconstruction surgeries that Dr. Hong discusses with his patients.
- Simple hymenoplasty:
- In the case of simple reconstruction, if torn pieces of the hymen are left, they are stitched together using dissolvable stitches. A local or general anesthetic is usually accompanied with this procedure.
- Alloplant hymen restoration surgery:
- In the case for women where pieces of hymen are not present, Alloplant hymen restoration surgery is done, which involves the use of a biomaterial that replicates the hymen. A local anesthetic is accompanied with this procedure.
- DLV Hymenoplasty:
- Uses a laser to reconstruct the damage hymen back to its original state
- Vaginoplasty involves an incision being made in the vaginal membrane and the sides then being stitched together
Hymen reconstruction operation usually takes under an hour and can be done as outpatient surgery under either local or general anesthesia, depending on the physical status of the patient.
In terms of recovery times and restrictions during that period, there are just a few precautions to be taken:
- The patient is able to go home after a few hours and return to work in a few days.
- There will be some initial discomfort and discharge which will disappear in a few days.
- Complete healing for the repaired hymen is usually achieved in 6 to 8 weeks.
- Since dissolving sutures are used, no physical removal of the stitches is required.
- Patients are told about special precautions that need to be taken during the healing period to maintain vaginal hygiene so as to prevent infections.
- Extreme physical activity should be avoided for the first 7 to 10 days.
- Sexual activity can begin once the discomfort and discharge has stopped.
Pain and bleeding can be expected at the time of the first sexual intercourse after the hymen reconstruction.
While hymen reconstructions in urban centers like Toronto are usually elective procedures, Dr. Colin Hong knows the difference that the surgery can make to a woman’s life and ensures that his patients are given the best advice, surgical procedures and post surgery care so that they get the results they want.
Dr. Colin Hong is a Board certified Toronto Plastic Surgeon serving cosmetic surgery patients from across the GTA including Toronto, North York, Richmond Hill, Scarborough and Mississauga.