Our Services: Labial Reduction in Toronto
Labiaplasty in North York, Oakville and Scarborough
Labial reduction or labiaplasty is becoming an increasingly common cosmetic procedure among women. The reasons for labial reduction are either to correct the effects of a congenital disease, to improve its appearance and function or to enable women to wear tight athletic clothing or swimsuits without embarrassment. Labial reduction is often recommended to treat urological and other physical problems. Dr. Colin Hong is a board certified plastic surgeon in Toronto and labial reduction is among his many specializations.
The labia are the folds of skin that protect the vaginal opening and genitalia. Women, who have concerns regarding the appearance of their vagina, target these areas to reduce any asymmetry, irregularities or discomfort that they may have.
There are 3 main types of labiaplasty:
- Labial reduction to reduce the size of the labia or correct asymmetrical labial size.
- Hoodectomy which is a procedure to improve clitoral sensitivity and sensation and thus increase sexual enjoyment.
- Vaginoplasty which tightens the vaginal opening.
In addition to being a solution for various medical conditions, women opt for labial reduction for reasons of discomfort during sex, to improve their sex lives or to improve their body image and self-esteem.
Labial reduction is performed either under local or general anesthesia, depending on the amount of reduction to be done, the condition of the labia and other health considerations. The procedure aims to avoid the clitoris, therefore incisions are carefully done to prevent any damage to the clitoris. It can often be done as an outpatient procedure under local anesthesia and can be completed in about one hour. No hospital stay is required and the patient can return home in a few hours.
The procedure is usually done on the labia minor, the inner fold of skin:
Excess tissue is removed from the center of labia minor and the upper and lower parts of the labia minor are then reconnected. This procedure is often done in combination with vaginoplasty to repair weakened muscles.
Dr. Colin Hong is a plastic surgeon who understands that cosmetic surgery such as labial reduction is a very sensitive issue and goes out of his way make his patient comfortable while discussing the reasons behind opting for this procedure, the mental and emotional issues involved and nature of the labial reduction procedure, the recovery period, the costs and what a patient can expect after it is completed. Dr. Hong focuses on making patients at his Toronto office as comfortable as possible while ensuring optimal results for the patient.
Following the prescribed recovery regimen is important to ensuring that the procedure has the best results.
- There will be some swelling and discomfort initially but this will gradually decrease over a period of 2 weeks.
- Vigorous physical exercise will need to be avoided for two weeks after which it can be gradually resumed.
- Wearing of panty liners until the swelling and discomfort disappear is essential.
- Normal sexual intercourse is possible after 1 month.
- Normal bathing and hygiene routines should be followed to prevent any infection from occurring.
- The incisions will heal rapidly and scaring will normally not be visible.
- The sutures are of the dissolving type so no physical removal is required.
- Dr. Hong will advise on follow-up visits and any medication that needs to be taken.
Labial reduction can be done with a variety of different techniques. The options depend on the appearance, needs and desires of the client. Removing the excess labia skin that is exposed pass the labia majora could involve one or more of the following methods: